Customer Service Center

General Information Relative to the Operations of the Initial Billing

NEW HOMES: Assessment of water charges will begin after issuance of connection permit. Assessment of sewer charges will begin on the date the Certificate of Occupancy is issued. The maintenance of the water meter and all charges incurred on the bill are the responsibility of the developer until the Certificate of Occupancy is issued. Upon the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy, which is the result of inspection and approval by the Township Building Inspector, all charges and maintenance of the meter become the new homeowners responsibility.

TO REQUEST EMERGENCY SERVICES: Emergency services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. To request emergency water turn-off, report a water meter leak, water main break, fire hydrant leak, clogged sewer or overflowing sewer, call (856) 226-3628. We have an emergency service that will take your call and contact our man on call.

If you are constructing a new building or adding to an existing building and you need to connect to our water or sewer line, here’s how:

  • Call the MMUA at (856) 629-1444 to obtain an “ED” form application for completion. Upon receipt of the completed application, it will be determined whether or not water or sewer lines are already in place and what fees need to be paid. Make sure you have the legal description of you property (lot and block numbers, etc.) or local address.


  • By Mail – Enclose the portion of your bill with your payment to the MUA Business Office at 372 South Main Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094. Do not mail cash. Use check or money order when paying by mail
  • In person – If you like, you may pay your bill in person at the Authority Business Office located at 372 South Main Street. The office is open from 8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. You may also pay your bill at 1452 Glassboro Road. The office is open from 7:30am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday. When paying in person, please present both portions of your statement so that we can give you a receipt for your payment.
  • Online – click on the red tab located on the home page titled ” Pay your bill online”.
  • ACH – Free Direct Debit- contact our Billing Department for information (856)629-1444.

PAST DUE BILLS: When a bill is not paid before the due date, the past due amount will appear on the next bill. If the past due bill becomes delinquent, a termination notice will be mailed.

Customers who receive a termination notice can pay their bill in the office, online or by mail. The termination notice will indicate the last day the bill can be paid before service is discontinued.

Reasons For Service Cut-Off – Water service may be terminated for any of the following reasons:

  • Failure to pay a bill
  • Failure to arrange payment of a returned check
  • Unauthorized connection to the water supply system
  • Failure to pay on Payment arrangements or Permit agreements
  • Failure to make arrangement for meter installation

SEWER AND WATER: (minimum charge) is charged in advance beginning with the billing date on the bill.  Excess water is charged on actual water usage on the date of the meter reading. Meters will be read on a monthly basis.

* To review the Authority’s Rates Schedule go to Rates and Info

SETTLEMENT-RESALE HOMES: Sewer and Water Charges due on the customer’s account are a municipal lien against the property and are paid at settlement.

WATER METER LEAK: Call the Authority for service; there is no charge for this repair. If the meter is tampered with or removed, call immediately.

METER READING: When a meter malfunctions it can only run slower, not faster. If a customer insists on a meter testing for accuracy there is a fee. If the meter is found to be faulty, the fee will be returned, and the customer will be billed average domestic usage for the disputed time period, and a new meter will be installed.

CLOUDY WATER: Cloudiness is usually caused by air…open one faucet in your home and let it run; then fill a glass, you will see that the water has cleared. If you are near new construction or if a fire hydrant has been opened near you, occasionally the water may be cloudy. Let the water run; it will clear.

CURB VENTS: These are your property and your responsibility. If the cover is damaged or missing, debris can fall into the curb vent and cause blockage. Replacement for curb vents may be purchased at a plumbing supply establishment.

BLOCKAGES: The lateral from the curb to main shall be the responsibility of the Authority. Curb vents and vertical inspection risers are the property of the homeowner who shall have the responsibility for its repair, operation, and maintenance. As a public service, the Authority, upon the owner’s request, will plunge the curb vent on his initial request. If the blockage remains, the Authority’s delegate will determine to the best of his judgement the location of the blockage. If it is judged that the blockage is between the curb and building, the owner will be notified that it is his responsibility. If it is judged that the blockage is between the curb line and the main, the Authority will take whatever action is necessary to clear and repair the line.


Water: Maintenance by Customer
All connections, service lines, and fixture furnished by the applicant, shall be maintained by the customer in good order, all meters and appliances furnished and owned by the Authority, and on the property of the customer, shall be protected property and cared for by the customer. Any and all leaks in the service and any other pipe and any fixture in or upon the premises must be immediately repaired by the owner or occupant of the premises.

Water: Authority Not Responsible
The Authority shall in no event be responsible for maintaining any portion of the service line owned by the customer, or for damages done by water escaping therefore; or from lines or fixtures on the customer’s property; and the customer shall at all times comply with applicable regulations.

Sewer: Maintenance by Customer
All connections, service laterals, sewer clean-outs and fixtures furnished by the customer, shall be maintained by him in good order, and all piping and connections furnished and owned by the Authority and on the property of the customer, shall be protected property and cared for by the customer. All leaks in the service lateral or any other pipe or fixture in or upon the premises served must be repaired immediately by the owner or occupant of the premises.

Sewer: Authority Not Responsible
The Authority shall in no way be responsible for maintaining any portion of the service lateral owned by the customer, or for damages done by sewage escaping therefore; or for lines or fixtures on the customer’s property.


The sanitary sewer main system at the time it is installed in the street is correctly engineered and inspected so the manhole will be the natural outflow for sewage in case of a main blockage. It has always been the responsibility of the house builder to build the house (which is constructed after the street system is completed) at the proper elevation to prevent any sanitary fixtures from being below the elevation of the main in the street.

In homes where the builder has failed to do this, sewage backup problems have occurred; and the homeowner has been notified by the Authority that he should install and maintain a check valve. (A permit must be obtained from the Plumbing Inspector’s Office before installing a check valve.) The Authority, while sympathetic to the problem of the homeowner, is not legally responsible for sewage backup from a main blockage when the house has a below grade installation. RE: NATIONAL STANDARD PLUMBING CODE, Section 11.8: Backwater Valve Requirements.

Drainage piping service fixtures that are located below the elevation of the curb at the point where the building sewer crosses under the curb or property line and above the crown level of the main sewer, may drain by gravity into the main sewer and shall be protected from back flow of sewage by installing an approved type of back water valve.

If sewage should back up into your home, stuff the point of entrance with rags and call the Authority’s Operations Department 856-226-3628. WE DO HAVE A 24-HOUR EMERGENCY SERVICE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.